Monday, June 28, 2010

Have a Heart

Ok, show of hands: Who here likes Prodigy? Moby? Chemical Brothers? Well make some room in the "Noise Pop" section of your hard drive (read: CD collection for all you old-timers) for Brooklyn-based Sleigh Bells' debut album, entitled Treats.

Now, this album most certainly isn't for everyone. Its noisy, grinding, and a little repetitive. But if you like any of the bands I mentioned above, you'll certainly enjoy this little gem. I'm not usually one for female vocalists in rock and alternative music (and I'm not trying to be sexist here, just not something my ears usually like), but this is definitely one to add to the list of exceptions for me. Right off the bat, Alexis Krauss' vocals ring out, providing a stark and impressive contrast from the relentlessly busy music. And she doesn't stop there... Throughout the album you'll hear her harmonizing beautifully with herself, rocking some intense and ass-kickin'-name-takin' lyrics, and even becoming a part of Derek Miller's (the other half of the band) electronic-grunge beats.


For me, this is one of those rare albums that you can listen to completely, over and over, and continue to enjoy it. Which is made even more impressive by the fact that this IS their debut album. This album is already the soundtrack to my summer, no doubt about it.


Oh, and if someone manages to meet Alexis Krauss at one of their concerts, ask her if she'll marry me. Shes kind of a hottie mcgee.


No comments:

Post a Comment